USA and Canada (English)
Europe, Middle East & Africa
The 60s saw Massey Ferguson into its second decade, and the company celebrated an increase in sales since the late 50s. October 1960 was the end of an era for many, when Harry Ferguson died at the age of 85; his memory lives on in every Massey Ferguson.
During 1960, the company continued to go from strength to strength, as a new tractor manufacturing plant was officially opened in Beauvais, France. Elsewhere in Europe, MF acquired Landini tractor company and Figli SpA in Italy.
By the following year, sales had reached a record high. Beauvais was producing the MF 25 tractor, which was later released in France and Germany, and production also began in Madras, India. In 1961 the company had moved from 7th to 3rd place in the US, and were the largest machinery company in the industry across the rest of the world. Tractor production began in Brazil in 1961, when the majority of the population lived in the countryside. The first tractor was produced in Taboão da Serra city, São Paulo. 1961 was the year which saw the end of president Juscelino Kubitschek’s government, whose slogan was “Fifty years (of progress) in five (years of government)”, hence the tractor was named the MF 50, later known as the ‘little fifty’.
In 1962, the industry’s first ‘change-on-the-move’ gearbox, ‘Multi-Power’, was offered as an option on selected MF tractors. By this time, Massey Ferguson was operating 26 factories in 9 countries across the globe!
New combine models were introduced during the year, including the MF 400 & MF 500 in the UK, and the MF 31 & MF 86 in Germany.
A new training school was opened in 1963 in Indianapolis, Indiana, and the introduction of a new line of combines was planned. To accommodate these new models, in 1964 a new combine plant was opened in Ontario, Canada.
Also this year, a new line of tractors was launched from the Banner Lane factory in Coventry. The range included three models, the MF 135, MF 165 and MF 175, also known as the ‘Red Giants’.
In 1965 Coventry’s export operations were selling to 140 countries, of which Scandanavia was the largest market.
Sales records were beaten again in 1965, and Massey Ferguson’s position as a leading world-wide tractor manufacturer extended as production rate increased by 30,000 per year.
In the UK, a new tower block was being completed at Banner Lane for 600 members of personnel staff, and in the US, MF’s executive offices were relocated from Detroit to Des Moines, Iowa.
During the same year, the new ‘Pressure Control’ feature proved a success as it was progressively introduced into world markets.
1966 saw the introduction of a new management structure for MF, as well as the introduction of a number of new products including the MF 405 pull-type combine.
Continuing the Massey Ferguson’s growth, another new manufacturing plant was constructed near Rome in Italy, and then in 1967 a new foundry was built in Sunshine, Australia as well as a new assembly plant in Queretaro in Mexico.
Between 1962 and 1967, the average number of employees had increased by more than 6000.
Rt. Honourable Vincent Massey, president of Massey Harris 1921-1925, died during 1967.
During 1968, some of the ‘Red Giants’ were upgraded with larger engines – at this time the MF 175 became the MF 178.
By 1969 the Mexican Massey Ferguson market was thriving, the export market saw record sales, and MF was noticing a rapidly growing demand for leisure products, such as snow mobiles and garden tractors.
A momentous decade indeed. Massey Ferguson looked forward to further expansion in the 1970s.